In Excel, VAR function. S is a function that helps you calculate variance based on a sample (ignoring logical values and text in a template) efficiently. If you are looking for an estimate, use the VAR function syntax. S below.
VAR function . S is one of the functions in the group of statistical functions that helps you perform model-based variance calculations, ignoring logical values and text in Excel.
VAR function. S in Excel
How to use the VAR Function. S in Excel
1. Description and syntax used
This is a function that performs a template-based variance calculation, ignoring logical values and text. This function is supported from Excel 2010 onwards.
– Number1 ,[Number2],…): Arguments in the population to calculate variance, where Nmber1 is the required argument, the next arguments are optional and contain up to 254 number arguments.
– VAR function. S assumes its arguments are a sample of the set.
– Arguments can be numbers, names, or reference arrays containing numbers.
– If the argument is an array or a reference, only the values in that array will be used.
– When typing logical values directly and presenting numbers as text into the arguments of the -> function these values are still calculated.
– The function occurs when the arguments are text or error values cannot be converted.
– If you want to calculate both logical and text values -> use the VARA function.
– VAR function calculation equation . S is:
2. Situational examples
Supposing you need to calculate variance based on a sample of values in below data table:
Step 1: In the cell to calculate -> enter the formula: =VAR. S(B3:B9)
Step 2: Press Enter -> the resulting variance based on the sample of the values is:
– Where values are text or logical -> function ignores these values:
– If the arguments are text or the error value cannot be converted -> The error will occur:
The above share has just shown you how to use the VAR Function. S file in Excel. This is a function that calculates variance based on a sample (ignoring logical values and text in the template).
In case if you need to calculate to get the result that the variance is based on the entire set, including logical values and text in Excel, then you need to use